A random series of articles on war gaming in 40K, FOW and other systems. The headings are, WiP; Conversions and models in various states of assembly. PiP; Paint works on various models. Mission Critical; scenarios or missions to bring a bit of a twist to a normal game. MiA; rules for units and characters that could/should/might appear in a game. Dig In; How to guides on making various types of terrain for different game systems. Sit Rep; Battle reports and after action reports on games played

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snoder River battle report

Below is a battle report of the Snoder River mission. The aim of the game was to introduce a new player to one of the rules for Flames of war in this case how artillery work. The player was already familiar with 40K and this was his second game of FOW


Kampfgruppe Frank defended the river bridge with the 88s and 105s batteries set-up on the German side of the river, with the grenadiers dug in the village and panzer IV platoon as far out as possible to push the Russian deployment as far away as possible. Taskforce Cullen was tasked with capturing the bridge before it could be blown. For deployment the a Motostrelkovy company deployed in the centre flanked on either side by company of T34 with an infantry gun platoon and heavy mortar company at the rear. The task force moved first with the Motostrelkovy and one T34 companies moving at the double to close the distance to the bridge. The second T34 company moved to pin the PIV platoon. Shooting was disappointing for the Russians with the artillery not making any impact and the T34's destroying a single PIV. The german return fire was more telling, the T34 company moving at the double was shredded by panzershreiks hidden in the village and 88s station on the hill. The Motostrelkovy company also took casualties from the 105s while the PIV destroyed two T34 of the second company.

For the next couple of turns the surviving T34 company duelled with the PIVs and 88s while the 105s battery pound the Motostrelkovy Company as it tried to creep through the wrecks of the first tank company towards the bridge.

The second T34 company was eventually destroyed by combined PIVs and 88s. However, it bought valuable time allowing the Motostrelkovy company reinforced by a Ravedki platoon to get within assault range of the grenadiers in the village. The assault was particularly bloody with both the grenadiers platoon and the Motostrelkovy company being destroyed leaving the Ravedki platoon within striking distance of the bridge. But before they could seize the bridge the panzers returned and made short work of the lightly armoured cars and accompanying infantry. The Russians first attempt to take the bridge had failed and it was not certain if they would get a second attempt before the bridge was ready to blow.

There was a lull in fighting for the next few turns. The Germans were reinforced by a King Tiger tank and a second platoon grenadiers. The Russian were reinforced by a second Motostrelkovy company, a sapper platoon and a company of heavy IS2 tanks. The Russian preparation were disrupted by the King tiger which opened fire at long range destroying an IS2 and causing another to bail. German artillery destroyed an infantry gun platoon. In reply the Russian artillery destroyed a couple of teams from the newly arrived grenadiers.

The delays bought enough time to the German engineers to wire the bridge. Without hesitation the German captain pushed the plunger .........

...... and got a partial explosion. The bridge was still standing and passable. It would take several turns to re-wire the bridge.

Realising the time was running out the Russian started their second assault. The sapper platoon got to the village first and made short work of the newly arrived grenadiers only to be destroyed in turn by the company HQ. The IS2 platoon started a losing duel with the King Tiger. The second Motostrelkovy company made it to the edge of the village but combined fire from every German unit took its toll and the company fled from the battle before it could assault. With the IS2s pinned by the king Tiger The German engineered re-wired the bridge and with the second attempt succeeded in blowing up the bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment